Friday, December 2, 2011

Day 2 Christmas Story

Today is December second.  If I am lucky this means I have advanced the various calendars in my home to the correct month.  Then the panic often begins to seep in.

Are you already wondering how you will ever be ready for Christmas?  Do your friends and family think you are involved in too much and spread yourself too thin, especially at this time of the year?  I know just how you feel.

My suggestion is to kick back for the weekend and read a book--not just any book but Unwrapping Christmas by Lori Copeland.  This book will not be on the New York Times book lists or win a Pulitzer Prize.  At this time of the year it could be much more valuable to you than any weighty award winner.

Lori Copeland may help you to see yourself in the main character, Rose.  She has a problem saying "no" and believes it is her mission in life to create the perfect holiday for everyone else.  Does this sound familiar?  It did to me.  Rose suffers through pain and personal suffering on her way to learning how to set priorities.  There is enough humor in this book to keep you from crawling under the covers and refusing to leave the house, but it will make you think.  It is easy to get caught up in a process and lose the goal. 

I read this book for the first time last Christmas and I think about its message every time I consider taking on one more worthwhile cause, especially in December.  It is so tempting to try and create a perfect Christmas for everyone around you. 

This book runs about 160 pages so it is will fit into your Friday night or weekend schedule this early in the month.  Look for Unwrapping Christmas for Kindle, as a hardback through bookstores or at Google Books.  I think it could be a big hit as a made-for-TV movie.

Tomorrow's book is a short and readily available classic that you just must read this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment