Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

Everyone who knows me will tell you that I have no sense of humor--but I love satire.  Many years ago I stumbled across Jasper Fforde by reading The Eyre Affair, the first volume in his Thursday Next series.  I am proud to announce that his new young adult series appears to be equal in satire, writing, wit and engagement as that first Fforde book I read.  The YA readers in your life will love the satire as well. 

As an adult I found it entertaining and have pre-ordered volume 2 on my Kindle.  The main thing that makes this YA literature is the central character, sixteen year old Jennifer Strange.  Strange is a foundling who is conscripted to a local magic establishment with an absentee owner.  However when many seers predict the death of the last dragon in the Kingdom twists and turns push Jennifer into the role of the last dragon slayer. 

Fforde is funny in a satirical way and I think you or your teen with see many real-life situations and a few politicians in the pages of The Last Dragonslayer.  Isn't that what satire is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment