Thursday, November 10, 2011

Found: A New Favorite Author

In my experimental, hap-hazard way of choosing books I have stumbled across a new favorite author.  Basically if Amazon offers a book on Kindle for $1 or less and compares it to something else I have enjoyed, I'm hooked.

My most recent find is Lindsay Buroker whose web page is here.  In the past week I have read everything in her high fantasy steampunk series The Emperor's Edge.  Steam driven machinery and repeating crossbows are paired with a fantasy world that includes royalty and their foreign enemies who use magic.

The main character is Amaranthe who is an Enforcer, similar to a policewoman.  In the first book, The Emperor's Edge she finds herself at cross purposes with the Emperor, Sespian, although her goal is to protect him.  She soon finds herself hunted by government officials with a price on her head.  She surrounds herself with unlikely companions and they lead a dangerous lifestyle in the hopes of saving the Emperor and clearing their names.

The second book is Dark Currents (Emperor's Edge 2) followed by a book of short stories Ice Cracker II and other Short Stories.  The third book, Deadly Games (Emperor's Edge 3) is expected to be released later this month.  

Buroker also has a series of steampunk novellas set in the Yukon called The Flash Gold Chronicles.  Currently the first volume can be downloaded free onto your Kindle.

If high fantasy steampunk isn't your style you may still want to check out Lindsay's web page.  She has a lot of suggestions and tips for the writers out there who want to self-publish in the ebook format.

2 comments:

  1. Lucile, thanks for checking out my books and for the nice write-up! If you ever decide to give Twitter a try, give me a poke, and I'll add you to my book bloggers list. I've interviewed a couple of ladies who started their blogs about a year ago and are now snagging free review copies from the big publishers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Started Deadly Games today.

    ReplyDelete