Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Seaside Knitters Mysteries

I have been a big fan of mysteries since I was a pre-teen.  It was about that same time that I first learned to knit through 4-H.  Move ahead many years and it is not surprising that I read a couple of knitting related mystery series.

Recently I finished the latest installment of the Seaside Knitters Mystery series, A Fatal Fleece.  This is the sixth book and Sally Goldenbaum continues to turn out engaging new plots. 

The characters are all inhabitants of a small seaside town but vary enough to offer many twists and turns to the plots.  Despite age and career differences they are tied together through the women at the local knit shop.  In many books a young yarn shop owner, her aunt and uncle, a lobster fisherman, the singer with a local band and a rich elderly woman would not have a lot in common.  I have found knitting to be a bond like that in real life as well. 

Goldenbaum's mystery plots are well worth the read even if you are not a knitter.  The main tie to knitting is the relationship between characters.  Although I have never lived by the sea the details seem plausible and real. This particular book touched me because the murder reminds us that "family" is not necessarily and can take on many shapes within a community.  I have experienced this many times in my own life.

Although this is a series it would not hurt to pick up or check out a copy of A Fatal Fleece, you will learn everything that is important to this story.  Then, perhaps, you will choose to start back at the beginning.  Don't knit?  Don't worry the mystery and setting will keep you engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment