Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Paranormal Mystery

Loose Ends is a Mary O'Reilly Paranormal Mystery by Terri Reid.  This is one of those "popcorn books" that are so pleasurable for a quick weekend read.  I don't think I am the only person who can really relax when immersed in a good book.

Mary O'Reilly is a former policewoman turned Paranormal Private Detective in Freeport, Illinois.  Chief Bradley Alden is new to town, but experienced in police work.  Their relationship is friendly, awkward, and yet often comfortable.  With the help of some ghosts they pull together to solve six 24 year old murders.  While there is plenty of action the book is not bloody or brutal, in a world with too much reality I appreciate that.


The story line gave clues to several people who may have committed the murders but did not reveal the murderer until near the end.  The people are likable and believable and the two main characters will call me back to the second book.  The ghosts have kept much of their humanity.  I like the way they worked together to help solve the crime although some of them were strangers to each other in life. 


Although I do not dislike vampire and werewolf tales I will always choose a nice set of ghosts for my reads. It probably seems more realistic to me since I grew up hearing one of my Grandmothers talking about the ghosts that inhabited her Grandma's house. 


Loose Ends is the first volume, there are currently six in the series.  Good Tidings, Never Forgotten, Final Call, Darkness Exposed and Natural Reaction follow in that order.  I ordered the first book on my Kindle for $.99 but I will be downloading the rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment