Thursday, February 2, 2012

Reading and Writing--Letters

I think that reading and writing go hand in hand.  Even if we don't ever publish most avid readers also enjoy writing.  Today I joined the "A Month of Letters" 2012 challenge.  The goal is to write and/or mail daily for the month of February. Check out the website here to learn more about it.

I have my letters for both today and yesterday done, sealed and stamped.  Yes, I noticed it is the second, but it is not too late to join in and catch up. Try to write every day even if you can't mail them daily.  It can be a very enriching experience.  I chose to write the first two letters to my oldest friend and to my newest friend. 

About 15 years ago one of my New Year's resolutions was to pick out two people and write to them monthly.  I let them know at the onset that I had made a commitment for a letter a month during the calendar year but did not expect them to make that same promise.  I chose my Aunt Twyla and my cousin's wife D'aun.  Writing to them monthly was a great experience in my life. 

I got to know my Aunt as an adult and "talk" to her about things that children never know about the older family members.  We shared family history, I had begun genealogy and had collected a lot that she did not know.  We shared recipes, not only was she a great cook but was a retired Home Economics teacher.  She loved seeing pictures of my kids more than a once-a-year school photo enclosed in a Christmas card. 

I only met D'aun once, at a family reunion, since we live several states apart.  I liked her the minute I met her, however liking is not knowing.  Her son and my youngest daughter were about the same age and had a similar interest in music.  That was a starting point but over the next 12 months our friendship grew. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow. This is neat. I honestly don't know if I have enough people I know well enough that I'd feel comfortable writing them a hand written letter for twenty-eight days in a row. I could probably go through a week! Maybe two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sarah.... However writing a letter to a particular person is difficult versus a short story or poem to a random/particular audience. But very cool indeed!

    ReplyDelete