Friday, October 7, 2011

Book Club Tonight!

Not only is tonight my monthly book club meeting, it is our annual planning meeting.  We will begin with a draft calendar and our individual lists, then finish with twelve book picks for 2012.  Several years ago we decided that planning ahead helped us to get the books we wanted to read and discuss.  Some members get them from High Plains Library District, some from a book swap, and others purchase the physical book or get it on our Kindles. 

The problem is too many choices.  At most we will each add two books for next year.  I have two pages of notes on books I would like to recommend and it has taken me all afternoon to narrow it down to four choices.  Maybe I will be lucky and someone else will have picked some of them as well. 

Yes, I could just read them anyway, and I do, but some books just demand to be discussed.  Our membership has been pretty constant throughout the years, we have become friends not just members.  An outsider would think that we get off track a lot, not so.  The people and events in our reading calls up the emotions and similarities in our own lives.  There are books that just must be discussed with fellow book lovers.  It creates another deminision. 

My list for tonight includes The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, The Reading Promise:  My Father and the Books We Share by Alice Ozma, Flaw by Magdalena Tulli and The Diaries of Sofia Tolstoy, translated by Cathy Porter.  I don't know yet which ones I will actually choose as we put pen to paper. 

Tonight we will snack as we discuss this month's pick--The Chili Queen by Sandra Dallas.  We will solve the problems of the world, reccomend the books we read this month, and plan a whole new year of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment