Monday, October 10, 2011

A Book Suggestion from an Eclectic Reader

Last night I finished my 48th book for 2011.  My secret is that I have a very eclectic reading style, in truth I will read almost anything.

Although I do not like blood and gore I am a huge fan of murder mysteries.  I grew up on Miss Marple with her calm "Oh, my!  I do believe someone has killed poor Mr. So-and-So in the Library".  I am surprised that I wasn't afraid of libraries. 

I love historical fiction, books featuring technology, classics, best sellers, satire, sci-fi, books that make you think and books that don't make you think.  You get the picture.   

For about the last year now I have added another category, books I can download onto my Kindle.  I know that there are two kinds of readers, those who carry their Kindles everywhere and those who won't touch one.  I have friends and family on both sides.  I actually have some very good reasons for loving my Kindle but I won't bore you with the details, your probably already know which side you are on. 

If you are anti-Kindle and fear the demise of the real, in your hands, weight and page turning book I have a recommendation for you.  I read this one in July and have talked to everyone about it--The Last Book Store in America by Amy Stewart.  Stewart is a bookstore owner but does not fail to see humor in the plight of the book. 

The basic plot is that books are falling from favor and bookstores are closing their doors daily all due the the Gizmo.  It appears that the Gizmo is all you really need, it is a phone, an e-reader and more.  The company that has developed and marketed the Gizmo is Nile.com.  I am not sure if this book should be labeled humor or satire, but I enjoyed it immensely.

The story of how the last book store stays open and succeeds will not only make you laugh, but it will also make you think.  Everyone I have talked into reading it has enjoyed it.  So, now I am recommending it to you.

If you still aren't sure that the author of a book about the death of books and book stores can have a sense of humor--it is only available on the Kindle!

No comments:

Post a Comment