Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What Will You Read Next?

I know, I have stacks and piles everywhere, too.  Sometimes, though, I feel like I am in a rut and need something that I don't already have sitting around. 

If you feel the same you need a personalized reading list. 

My local library, and others around the country, will put together a personalized reading list based on your answers to a brief questionnaire.  The questions are simple: favorite authors, genre, and books.  You will also be ask about things you don't like.  I don't read books with a focus on concentration camps, I just don't.  I filled out the questionnaire then submitted it online.  It really is that simple. 

In a very short time, ten days to two weeks, I had a new specialized list created just for me.  My first list had ten choices with a short synopsis of the books, a link to the book in the online library catalog and a statement about why this book was chosen for me.  I appreciate that this list was created by real librarians not a computer program.

Thanks to this service I have discovered and fallen in love with new (to me) authors such as Wilkie Collins.  I had never heard of him so did not know that he is considered the father of the modern detective novel.

Moonstone was suggested to me.  I downloaded it onto my Kindle for free then enjoyed the book and author immensely.  Collins was a friend and colleague of Arthur Conan Doyle who I have liked for years.  In addition, I have read and enjoyed all ten of the books on my reading list.  Only one was a repeat for me, but I followed up on the suggestion to listen to the audio book of Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand if I had read it previously.  

Contact your local library to see if they offer this service, many do.  Meanwhile my suggestion is to check out Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.  If you like classic detective mysteries you won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. I filled out the form. I'm excited to see what they suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed every book they suggested and two of them led me to authors I will read anything by.

    ReplyDelete