Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Charlotte and Emily A Novel of the Bronte's

Over the last two or three years I have had several books by Jude Morgan on my to-read list.  Book club came to my rescue when we read Charlotte and Emily A Novel of the Bronte's for our December discussion.

Unfortunately I was not able to attend our December meeting so I can only give you my thoughts and observations.  The book is now a favorite and other books by Jude Morgan have moved up on my lists. 

The pace and cadence seemed to slow my typically fast paced reading style.  I found the language and tone enjoyable and fitting of the subject.  The characters are real and believable.  Although the title is focused on Charlotte and Emily all the Bronte's are covered, including their father, Patrick.

The setting and sense of place pulled me into the story.  The imaginary world of play with toy soldiers and minute hand made books made me think of childhood perceptions and my own overactive imagination as a child. 

This excellent book stands alone.  Your enjoyment will not be dimmed if you have not read works by the Bronte's, although it may spur you to try one or two.  I found the book hard to put down even with holidays and family activities vying for my attentions.  Charlotte and Emily will not be my last novel by Jude Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment