Sunday, January 8, 2012

Nine Horses

Nine Horses is a collection of poems by Billy Collins published in 2002.  Collins is known to many as the Poet Laureate of the United States 2001-2003.

Reading a book of poetry is a different experience, at least for me, than reading either fiction or non-fiction.  Poetry requires a slower pace and I cannot read a book of poetry cover to cover.  Poems seem to need a chance to nestle down and sink in.

Although I would not hesitate to recommend any of the collections by Collins I am particularly fond of this volume for two reasons.  First, it was a gift to me last fall from a former student.  She had it autographed in 2005 when she went to a book signing.  Since I had retired she held onto this wonderful book until we crossed paths once again.  Secondly, Nine Horses contains several poems that are now my favorites by Collins.

The Literary Life is an excellent example of Collins work.  He begins a search for information on a long forgotten poet and ends in the kitchen "taking in the silvery toaster, the bowl of lemons, and the white cat, looking as if he had just finished his autobiography."  I love the tone and imagery.  I know just how that cat must have looked.  I can feel and see what the poet felt and saw.  That is what poetry is all about. 

In previous posts I have mentioned my appreciation of thankfulness.  Collin's poem As If to Demonstrate an Eclipse touches that part of me.  I now think of his words when I gaze up into the slice of universe that is our night sky.   Beginning with creating a model of an eclipse using an orange, a blue and white marble and an aspirin we read through many stages with the poet.  There is a sense of creation, then praise, then gratitude. 

Although I have reviewed Nine Horses any book of Collins work is worthy of reading, study and introspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment